Optical Applications Engineer
Metalenz is a growing, venture-backed start-up that is the first to commercialize meta-optics and enable the next generation of 3D sensing in consumer electronics, automotive and industrial robotics markets. Built on research from Harvard University, Metalenz has 20+ patents on innovations that simplify and improve optical devices. Unlike traditional optics, the company’s metasurface technology provides complex, multifunctional optical performance in a single semiconductor layer, relocating large-scale production of optics to semiconductor foundries, that print lenses like computer chips.
Metalenz recently closed a $30M Series B financing led by Neotribe Ventures, and returning investors including 3M Ventures, Applied Ventures LLC, Intel Capital, M Ventures, TDK Ventures, and Foothill Ventures. Now in the market, Metalenz metasurface optics will be in millions of consumer devices this year.
Based in downtown Boston near TD Garden, Metalenz is conveniently located across the street from North Station.
Metalenz is seeking an Optical Applications Engineer to join our growing engineering team of expert technologists and researchers. In this position, your responsibilities will include conducting hardware testing, troubleshooting, and data acquisition for 3D sensing optical devices used in consumer electronics. You will play a crucial role in supporting both internal product development and customer support by leveraging an innovative range of optics and imaging technologies.
What you’ll do
- Plan, execute and document controlled data collection for imaging and emitting near infrared optical devices, including collecting images with a near infrared camera under various test conditions, or measuring optical power emitted by a VCSEL laser device
- Assemble, test, and troubleshoot evaluation kits hardware of imaging and emitting near infrared optical devices, for internal development and for customers
- Identify hardware, test or customer issues and contribute to their solutions
- Write test reports, and contributes to bill of material documentation, product specification, user guides and application notes documents
- Set up and maintain product demos and contribute to the creation of new demos
- Manage inventory, coordinate and track shipment of samples and evaluation kits
- Support hardware and occasionally software customer questions and track open action items
What you’ll need
- BS in Engineering, Optics, or Physics, or relevant field
- Experience in optics, testing, data acquisition, troubleshooting optical devices, optical sensors, cameras, optical emitters, or related hardware
- Knowledge of imaging optics, light sources, imaging metrics and radiometric metrics
- Knowledge of optical metrology, near infrared sensors and VCSEL laser devices and of polarization optics: a plus
- Hands-on experience testing with opto-mechanical assemblies, detectors and power supplies for optical devices, and other related hardware
- Ability to learn and use data acquisition software
- Excellent reporting and documentation skills, and problem solving skills
- General knowledge of basic electro-mechanical engineering: familiarity with operating oscilloscopes and detecting current or voltage, PCBs (printed circuit boards), concepts of thermal management
- Familiarity with CAD software (e.g. SolidWorks), soldering, and ability to write simple scripts in e.g. Matlab or python: a plus
What we offer
- 401k with company contribution, pre-IPO stock options
- Based in downtown Boston near TD Garden, Metalenz is conveniently located across the street from North Station.
- Competitive benefits package including company-paid health, dental, vision, life, LTD/ADD
- Company contribution to Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Collaborative office space, and flexible work schedule with hybrid and/or work-from-home arrangements for qualified positions.
- Complimentary snacks and drinks, and occasionally lunch
- Free gym and bike parking – on-site
- Fun, energizing, highly collaborative environment in which each team member has the opportunity to make an impact
Metalenz is an equal opportunity employer. The Company is committed to providing an open and inclusive environment for all of its employees. The Company prohibits any discrimination on the basis of gender, gender identity, pregnancy, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, criminal record, genetic information, or any other category protected by law.