Senior Optical Device Engineer
Metalenz is a growing, venture-backed start-up that is the first to commercialize meta-optics and enable the next generation of 3D sensing in consumer electronics, automotive and industrial robotics markets. Built on research from Harvard University, Metalenz has 20+ patents on innovations that simplify and improve optical devices. Unlike traditional optics, the company’s metasurface technology provides complex, multifunctional optical performance in a single semiconductor layer, relocating large-scale production of optics to semiconductor foundries, that print lenses like computer chips.
Metalenz recently closed a $30M Series B financing led by Neotribe Ventures, and returning investors including 3M Ventures, Applied Ventures LLC, Intel Capital, M Ventures, TDK Ventures, and Foothill Ventures. Now in market, Metalenz metasurface optics will be in millions of consumer devices this year.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated Senior Optical Device Engineer with a broad background in optoelectronic device fabrication, metrology, and analysis. Reporting to the Metalenz VP of Engineering, you will have the opportunity to be part of the core group shaping the future of Metalenz and make significant contributions to our technology development.
Based in downtown Boston near TD Gardens, Metalenz is conveniently located across the street from North Station.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively to coordinate and direct technical activities between Metalenz fabrication, metrology, applications, and design teams to deliver prototype optics to internal and external customers.
- You’re the glue between the technical teams. You must be able to see the big picture, as well as dive into the details in whatever area needs attention.
- Follow new projects from inception to prototype shipment.
- Perform data analysis, comparing measured properties to design values, and root cause analysis of any gaps in expectations.
- Analyze raw test data to extract relevant parametric information, and feedback to design and fabrication team.
- Anticipate and resolve problems independently.
- Create reports and give presentations to a wide variety of audiences… internal teams, external customers, each with different background knowledge.
- Represent Metalenz in customer projects as needed.
- PhD in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Optics, or related field.
- 3+ years of experience in some type optical device manufacture (component highly desirable).
- Broad background in multiple functional areas, including design, wafer fabrication, metrology.
- Specific experience in wafer fabrication and testing of optical devices (lasers, VCSELs, LEDs, waveguides, diffractive optical elements).
- Skilled in statistical analysis of raw data using commercial packages like JMP, and able to draw conclusion and make recommendations based on limited information.
- Able to communicate effectively with internal and external stake holders.
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO stock options
- 100%, company paid medical, dental, and vision premiums for employees and their dependents
- Employer Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions
- Employer matching 401k
- Pre-tax commuter plans
- Hybrid working model
- Casual dress code
- Generous holiday and vacation policies
Metalenz is an equal opportunity employer. The Company is committed to providing an open and inclusive environment for all of its employees. The Company prohibits any discrimination on the basis of gender, gender identity, pregnancy, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, criminal record, or genetic information. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to our HR lead at email@example.com.