Senior Optical Design Engineer
Metalenz is a growing, venture-backed start-up that is the first to commercialize meta-optics and enable the next generation of 3D sensing in consumer electronics, automotive and industrial robotics markets. Built on research from Harvard University, Metalenz has 20+ patents on innovations that simplify and improve optical devices. Unlike traditional optics, the company’s metasurface technology provides complex, multifunctional optical performance in a single semiconductor layer, relocating large-scale production of optics to semiconductor foundries, that print lenses like computer chips.
Metalenz recently closed a $30.0m Series B financing led by Neotribe Ventures, and returning investors including 3M Ventures, Applied Ventures LLC, Intel Capital, M Ventures, TDK Ventures, and Foothill Ventures. Now in market, Metalenz metasurface optics will be in millions of consumer devices this year.
Based in downtown Boston near TD Garden, Metalenz is conveniently located across the street from North Station.
We are seeking a talented and motivated Senior Optical Design Engineer to help advance and support the design of our products in imaging and non-imaging optic technologies. A successful candidate will be able to draw from their body of knowledge in metasurface, diffractives, and optics and apply it to problems in meta-optic system design.
What you’ll do
- Work with the design team to integrate new developments and viewpoints into our software toolkit
- Expand our system design capabilities, breaking free from the viewpoints dominating traditional optics design
- Apply home-grown techniques to meta-optic system design for a diverse range of consumer applications
- Interpret customer needs and requirements and develop architectures and designs that satisfy them
- Shape the technical roadmap
What you’ll need
- MS/PhD in Physics, Applied Physics, Applied Mathematics, or relevant field and/or demonstrated excellence in relevant technical domains through open source contributions or publications
- Technical background in electro-magnetics, diffractive optics, and metasurface physics
- Comfort working with high performance computing environments, especially Julia and AWS. Experience with MATLAB or commercial/open-source E&M software such as Lumerical, CST Studio, or MEEP encouraged
- Eagerness to propose, develop, and test new design and analysis techniques
What we do
- Work with consumer electronic OEMs to commercialize metasurface optics
- Design next-generation optical systems for emerging consumer applications like 3D sensing
- Apply a modern software stack and cutting-edge developments in computing to greenfield areas in optical system design
- Support internal fabrication and metrology with custom in-house software
What we offer
- We provide competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO stock options
- 100%, company paid premiums for employees and their dependents, such as medical, dental, and vision
- Employer Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions
- Employer matching 401k
- Pre-tax commuter plans
- Hybrid working model
- Casual dress code
- 18 days of PTO and 12 paid company holidays
- 10 sick days per year on a calendar basis
Metalenz is an equal-opportunity employer. The Company is committed to providing an open and inclusive environment for all of its employees. The Company prohibits any discrimination on the basis of gender, gender identity, pregnancy, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, criminal record, or genetic information.