Metalenz is a growing, venture-backed start-up that is the first to commercialize meta-optics and enable the next generation of 3D sensing in consumer electronics, automotive and industrial robotics markets. Built on research from Harvard University, Metalenz has 20+ patents on innovations that simplify and improve optical devices. Unlike traditional optics, the company’s metasurface technology provides complex, multifunctional optical performance in a single semiconductor layer, relocating large-scale production of optics to semiconductor foundries, that print lenses like computer chips.
Metalenz recently closed a $30.0m Series B financing led by Neotribe Ventures, and returning investors including 3M Ventures, Applied Ventures LLC, Intel Capital, M Ventures, TDK Ventures, and Foothill Ventures. Now in market, Metalenz metasurface optics will be in millions of consumer devices this year.
Based in downtown Boston near TD Garden, Metalenz is conveniently located across the street from North Station.
We are seeking a talented and motivated Senior Optical Metrology Engineer with strong background in imaging and camera metrology and related optical measurement skills.
What you’ll do
- Characterize Metalenz advanced imaging cameras for 3D sensing applications.
- Architect new camera, lens, and other optical test set-ups and methods, as well as expanding upon and improving existing methods.
- Work collaboratively with fabrication, design, and applications teams to characterize our novel metasurface optics.
- Analyze raw test data to extract relevant parametric information, and feedback to design and fabrication team.
- Work with Engineering and Operations teams to transfer measurement methods to high volume testers
What you’ll need
- You have a MS or PhD in Physics, Optics, or related scientific or engineering field.
- Strong background in camera, imaging lens, and image sensor metrology.
- Comfortable performing measurements of standard camera performance metrics, including MTF, dynamic range, flare, stray light, dynamic range, etc.
- Strong understanding of the entire camera system, and how the illumination, imaging, and sensing systems work together.
- Familiar with image analysis platforms such as Imatest, Quick MTF, OpenCV, Matlab, etc.
- You probably know the Thorlabs catalog by heart.
- Comfortable at the optical bench, setting up measurements, aligning lasers and cameras, designing new experiments, etc.
- Nice to have: Optical design with Zemax/Tracepro/Code V/FRED, etc.
- You are looking to apply your hard-earned optics skills to practical, real-world applications.
What we offer
- We provide competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO stock options
- 100%, company paid premiums for employees and their dependents, such as medical, dental, and vision
- Employer Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions
- Employer matching 401k
- Pre-tax commuter plans
- Hybrid working model
- Casual dress code
- 18 days of PTO and 12 paid company holidays
- 10 sick days per year on a calendar basis
Metalenz is an equal opportunity employer. The Company is committed to providing an open and inclusive environment for all of its employees. The Company prohibits any discrimination on the basis of gender, gender identity, pregnancy, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, criminal record, or genetic information.