Metalenz is a growing, venture-backed start-up that is the first to commercialize meta-optics and enable the next generation of 3D sensing in consumer electronics, automotive and industrial robotics markets. Built on research from Harvard University, Metalenz has 20+ patents on innovations that simplify and improve optical devices. Unlike traditional optics, the company’s metasurface technology provides complex, multifunctional optical performance in a single semiconductor layer, relocating large-scale production of optics to semiconductor foundries, that print lenses like computer chips.
Metalenz recently closed a $30.0m Series B financing led by Neotribe Ventures, and returning investors including 3M Ventures, Applied Ventures LLC, Intel Capital, M Ventures, TDK Ventures, and Foothill Ventures. Now in market, Metalenz metasurface optics will be in millions of consumer devices this year.
Based in downtown Boston near TD Garden, Metalenz is conveniently located across the street from North Station.
Metalenz is developing next-generation sensing systems for consumer electronics with metasurface technology. We’re seeking a Test Engineer to lead the pivotal role of ensuring smooth product transitions from R&D to successful production. You’ll oversee comprehensive testing, validation, and reliability processes for offshore manufacturing while collaborating closely with Design, Engineering, and Applications teams. A successful candidate will manage manufacturability improvements through vendor collaboration and upstream design influence, and significantly impact our cutting-edge production processes.
What you’ll do
- Primary responsibility for test and characterization of products as they are developed from R&D into ramped production.
- Manage validation and reliability testing into an offshore volume manufacturing environment.
- Work collaboratively with Design, Engineering, and Applications teams to prepare our products for manufacturing.
- Support characterization of Metalenz advanced imaging cameras for 3D sensing applications. Collaborate on new camera, lens, and other optical test set-ups and methods, as well as expanding upon and improving existing methods.
- Work with external vendors and Engineering team to transfer production test and methods to offshore location(s).
- Ongoing improvement of manufacturability and by working with vendors and influencing upstream design and wafer processing methods.
What you’ll need
- BS or MS in EE, Optics, or related scientific or engineering field.
- 8-10 years’ experience bringing new technologies and products into production, preferably in an established semiconductor and / or optics company.
- Experience designing hardware / software in support of automated device characterization.
- Experience interacting with Design Team to understand critical device characterization needs, develop and automate testing solutions.
- Background in camera, imaging lens, and image sensor testing
- Understanding of measurements of standard camera performance metrics, including MTF, dynamic range, flare, stray light, etc
- Conceptual understanding of the entire camera system, and how the illumination, imaging, and sensing systems work together a plus.
- Familiar with image analysis platforms such as Imatest, Quick MTF, OpenCV, Matlab, etc. a plus.
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and interpreting measurement data. Excellent analytical skills, starting with raw data, analyzing in common statistical analysis tools such as JMP and Microsoft Excel. Specific experience Cp, Cpk and gauge studies a plus.
- Familiar with image sensor test methods and hardware on automated test equipment (ATE). Examples include Teradyne, Agilent, Verigy, Keysight, Advantest.
- Familiarity with post-fab wafer-level processing and back-end processing including manufacturing test, mechanical / laser dicing, sort and pack a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in a startup environment highly valued.
What we offer
- We provide competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO stock options
- 100%, company paid premiums for employees and their dependents, such as medical, dental, and vision
- Employer Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions
- Employer matching 401k
- Pre-tax commuter plans
- Hybrid working model
- Casual dress code
- 18 days of PTO and 12 paid company holidays
- 10 sick days per year on a calendar basis
Metalenz is an equal opportunity employer. The Company is committed to providing an open and inclusive environment for all of its employees. The Company prohibits any discrimination on the basis of gender, gender identity, pregnancy, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, criminal record, or genetic information.