Metalenz is a growing, venture-backed start-up that is the first to commercialize meta-optics and enable the next generation of 3D sensing in consumer electronics, automotive and industrial robotics markets. Built on research from Harvard University, Metalenz has 20+ patents on innovations that simplify and improve optical devices. Unlike traditional optics, the company’s metasurface technology provides complex, multifunctional optical performance in a single semiconductor layer, relocating large-scale production of optics to semiconductor foundries that print lenses like computer chips.
Metalenz recently closed a $30M Series B financing led by Neotribe Ventures, and returning investors including 3M Ventures, Applied Ventures LLC, Intel Capital, M Ventures, TDK Ventures, and Foothill Ventures. Now in the market, Metalenz metasurface optics will be in millions of consumer devices this year.
Based in downtown Boston near TD Garden, Metalenz is conveniently located across the street from North Station.
As a Staff Embedded Engineer, you will be responsible for participating in designing and developing our next-generation mobile platforms.
What You’ll Do
- Develop features for our embedded systems including design, scoping, implementation, and validation
- Create high-level and low-level design(s) for development activities related to our platform software and camera components
- Optimize Performance for CPU and power for extended battery life and reduced thermal impact
- Conduct root cause analysis and remedy incoming issues as required
- Reproduce issues and validate fixes
- Participate in defining and implementing product security inclusive of Android verified boot
What You’ll Need
- Experience in developing and integrating camera stack for embedded devices, specifically Android CameraX, Camera2
- Nice to have: Qualcomm Camera pipelines
- Experience in Design, code, review, and tests camera related software features across all layers of the camera stack, including Android applications, Camera HAL and Linux kernel
- Experience with camera APIs, media processing, and understanding of Video and Image Capture pipeline for embedded devices
- Exposure in Google Compliance Testing (CTS,VTS, STS,ACTS etc.)
- Experience with Camera Sensor bring up
- Strong knowledge of Linux Android Camera Stack
- Experience in Image Processing and Computational Photography, including but not limited to low-light capture, HDR, Depth estimation, video stabilization, denoising, demosaicing, and new camera formats
- Experience working on camera hardware, including sensors, lens, DSP, computer vision processing units
- Experience with OpenGL and/or OpenCL programming, C/C++
- Nice to have: Java and/or Kotlin
- Nice to have: Android UI with jni
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- At least a BSEE or BS CS degree required, 5-10 years of experience preferred
What We Offer
- We provide competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO stock options
- 100%, company paid premiums for employees and their dependents, such as medical, dental, and vision
- Employer Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions
- Employer matching 401k
- Pre-tax commuter plans
- Hybrid working model
- Casual dress code
- 18 days of PTO and 12 paid company holidays
- 10 sick days per year on a calendar basis
Metalenz is an equal-opportunity employer. The Company is committed to providing an open and inclusive environment for all of its employees. The Company prohibits any discrimination on the basis of gender, gender identity, pregnancy, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, criminal record, or genetic information.