Metalenz is a growing, venture-backed start-up that is the first to commercialize meta-optics and enable the next generation of 3D sensing in consumer electronics, automotive and industrial robotics markets. Built on research from Harvard University, Metalenz has 20+ patents on innovations that simplify and improve optical devices. Unlike traditional optics, the company’s metasurface technology provides complex, multifunctional optical performance in a single semiconductor layer, relocating large-scale production of optics to semiconductor foundries that print lenses like computer chips.
Metalenz recently closed a $30M Series B financing led by Neotribe Ventures, and returning investors including 3M Ventures, Applied Ventures LLC, Intel Capital, M Ventures, TDK Ventures, and Foothill Ventures. Now in the market, Metalenz metasurface optics will be in millions of consumer devices this year.
Based in downtown Boston near TD Garden, Metalenz is conveniently located across the street from North Station.
Metalenz is developing next-generation sensing systems for consumer electronics with metasurface technology. As a Sr. Research Engineer you will help advance and support the design of our products in imaging and non-imaging optical technologies. A successful candidate will be able to draw from their body of knowledge in computational electromagnetics, numerical computing, and software development to craft the tools our teams use for product design.
What you’ll do
- Apply your knowledge of computational electromagnetics to design problems at Metalenz
- Work with the modeling and simulation team to integrate new research ideas and have them be used by our optics and metasurface design team
- Develop Julia packages that address pain points in the design process, increasing simulation throughput, accuracy, and lowing cost-to-compute
- Train and on-board users to new code improvements, write documentation and foster new ideas across teams
- Use heterogeneous scientific computing platforms, building code to deploy across workstations, clusters, or GPUs
- Develop improved full-wave electromagnetics solver algorithms, optimization techniques, or surrogate analysis methods
- Expand our system design capabilities, breaking free from the viewpoints dominating traditional optics design
- Collaborate by writing documentation, engaging in code review, and commenting on design documents
What you’ll need
- MS or PhD in Physics, Applied Physics, Applied Mathematics, or relevant field and/or demonstrated excellence in relevant technical domains through open-source contributions or publications
- Technical background in computational electromagnetics, numerical computing, and optimization
- Physics-informed neural networks (PINNs), surrogate modeling, scientific machine learning, and modern developments in solving partial differential equations, particularly Maxwell’s equations
- Optimization techniques and their application in electromagnetics, such as convex or Bayesian optimization
- Comfort working with high performance computing environments, especially Julia and cloud compute platforms such as AWS, or willingness to learn. Familiarity with Python, MATLAB or commercial/open-source E&M software such as Lumerical, CST Studio, or MEEP encouraged
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices (version control, cluster management, data provenance, code profiling and unit tests)
What we do
- Work with consumer electronic OEMs to commercialize metasurface optics
- Design next-generation optical systems for emerging consumer applications like 3D sensing
- Apply a modern software stack and cutting-edge developments in computing to greenfield areas in optical system design
- Support internal fabrication and metrology with custom in-house software
What We Offer
- We provide competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO stock options
- 100%, company paid premiums for employees and their dependents, such as medical, dental, and vision
- Employer Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions
- Employer matching 401k
- Pre-tax commuter plans
- Hybrid working model
- Casual dress code
- 18 days of PTO and 12 paid company holidays
- 10 sick days per year on a calendar basis
Metalenz is an equal-opportunity employer. The Company is committed to providing an open and inclusive environment for all of its employees. The Company prohibits any discrimination on the basis of gender, gender identity, pregnancy, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, criminal record, or genetic information.